Enterprise Content Management, Document Management & SharePoint
In this course we will provide a thorough introduction to and grounding in Enterprise Content Management technologies. We will look at how enterprise content management systems have developed over the past ten years, and at the core components of ECM in terms of document and records management, workflow, portals, and intranet/web content management.
We will look at the challenges and opportunities posed to the enterprise content management world from the rise of social computing, the use of mobile devices and the prospect of cloud computing.
We will look closely at Microsoft SharePoint and compare it with the products offered by the traditional ECM vendors. SharePoint has a very distinctive architecture, based on the use of SQL Server databases to store content. We will explain how SharePoint's use of concepts unique to SharePoint such as 'site collections' and 'content types' impacts on information architecture and information management decisions facing those organisations that implement it.
The European Union's recently revised Eurpean statement of requirements on records management (MoReq 2010) is significantly different from previous records management standards and signals a move away from a traditional EDRMS model - we will discuss what that standard means for enterprise content management.
This will be a highly critical and supplier agnostic workshop, championing no particular vendor technology approach, but with critical insight into the strengths and limitations of the leading systems.
The course will remain strictly vendor neutral and will aim to give real world examples and methods. Overall this will be a highly practical course, suitable for both technical and more Busi- ness oriented attendees alike.
What you will learn
- A thorough understanding of ECM Technologies
- A foundation in which to structure potential ECM related projects
- A focus on SharePoint as a ECM system, how it works, is structured and its limitations
- Knowledge of key tools for change with ECM
- What is Enterprise Content Management?
- Content architecture and organisations
- Records management
- The ECM market
- How does SharePoint differ from a traditional ECM system?
- Collaboration in SharePoint
- Document and records management in SharePoint
- Can you stop SharePoint Sprawl? Governance in SharePoint
- Social Computing in SharePoint
- SharePoint's infrastructure