by Fred Lamond
Recent technological developments and their impact on information processing strategies. Recent technological developments in networks, Internet, Intranets and Extranets, e-business and e-commerce, server architectures and operating systems, PCs and thin clients, databases and development toots : How are standards evolving? How should user strategies?
Key questions addressed:
- The e-business explosion: what is its impact on the information system?
- Internet and e-commerce: how secure are they?
- SMP, parallel, NUMA and clustered servers: which architecture is best for which applications ?
- How scaleable is each? What are their performance/price ratios?
- Data file centralisation or distribution?
- Messaging and groupware systems : Notes/Domino or Exchange?
- How much bandwidth is and will soon be available on wide area and local area networks?
- Cable networks, ADSL on local loop, radio loop, satellite or electrical distribution network ?
- Voice over IP (VoIP) : what quality of service (QoS) on private and public networks?
- Mobile telephones and wireless communications : can they be integrated into existing networks?
- Computer-telephony integration (CTI) and its applications.
- Centralised or distributed network management ? What tools and packages?
- Which application servers and integration tools are best?
- Network attached storage (NAS) or Storage area network (SAN)?
- PCs or thin clients : what are their respective total costs of ownership (TCO)?
- Which desktop operating system?
- AS/400, Unix, Windows 2000 or Linux on servers?
- How compatible are Unix and Linux?
- Is open source software commercially viable?
- SuSE, RedHat, Caldera or TurboLinux distribution?
- Plex, inverted file, relational, object-oriented or multidimensional databases?
- XML : how will it affect applications?
- How are enterprise resource planning (ERP) packages evolving?
- Supply chain management (SCM) and customer relations management (CRM) : should they be implemented separately or as part of ERP?
- Visual Basic, Java or C# ? Which is the best development tool?
- Intranet/Extranet, is this the new information processing paradigm?
- How can operational and decision support systems be integrated?
- What are the Information Systems Director's new tasks?
- How will the information processing professions evolve?