The New Integration Manifesto:
Cloud, Mobile, and the IoT
by Max Dolgicer
Integrating applications and data in a timely and cost efficient way has been among the top priorities of most CIOs for decades. However, today we face new challenges: how do we connect our core systems to the extended ecosystem of Cloud, mobile devices, external app developers, business partners and the Internet of Things (IoT)? Not surprisingly, in a recent forecast Gartner Group predicted a 33% increase in integration cost over the next few years.
The three classic integration architecture patterns still apply: Data Consistency - making data across applications consistent; Multi-step Processes - orchestrating the execution of activities across people, programs, and devices; and Composite Applications – new user facing applications created out of existing applications and services. However, today these patterns are applied to a broader array of integration projects.
Examples include synchronizing data in SaaS applications with on-premises applications, incorporating cloud based services into new Composite Applications, integrating mobile apps with on-premises back-end systems, deployment of B2B processes that bring new efficiencies and cost savings, and turning vast amounts of data from IoT devices into actionable intelligence.
Many companies are prone to fall into the trap of repeating the “integration spaghetti” of the 1990s. The integration technology landscape today is becoming increasingly more complex - companies face a wide variety of approaches and middleware platforms that could be utilized. We will look at major use cases, best practices, and the functionality you should be looking for when selecting a technology platform. The chances of finding a “one stop shopping” solution are slim – in a typical scenario best of breed solutions are fragmented across the different domains of integration.
We will discuss data integration, a long standing staple for any company, but vastly more challenging now that proliferation into clouds threatens to invalidate our systems of record. We will look at application integration: how can we move legacy applications forward into a world of services and how to integrate with the Cloud and across Clouds. When should you employ on-premise integration, integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS), or Hybrid Integration?
Enterprise mobile apps today are more than mere UIs to back-end systems – they have to work online and offline, synchronize local and enterprise data stores, interact with enterprise services intelligently, and be centrally managed. Last but not least the IoT is quickly becoming a first class citizen in the enterprise ecosystem. No longer can it be restricted to specialized applications and access protocols – it has to be connected to Cloud, mobile apps, and enterprise systems like CRM and ERP, in order to create the $14 Trillion business value that analysts forecast.
These complex integration scenarios require well thought-through architectures. We will examine modern API integration architectures, demonstrating the relationship between SOA, REST, Web Services, APIs, and Micro Services. We will also take a look at Blockchain to see whether it presents an alternative or if it can be employed complementary. Finally, we need to address the cross-cutting issues: security, monitoring, and the evolution (or disintegration?) of the IT organization as companies adopt the Digital Business. Best practices and lessons learned will be discussed throughout the seminar, two case studies will emphasize application of the integration approaches, and we will put everything together so that the attendees can start formulating a comprehensive integration strategy for their company.
What you will learn
- Understand how to solve the integration challenges when enterprise applications are extended to mobile
- Learn how to architect scalable integration solutions that can be reused and how to integrate and reduce the complexity of your application portfolio
- Understand the major use cases for data integration and what functionality the leading technology platforms provide
- Learn how to integrate applications on-premise, with the Cloud, and across Clouds
- See why a API-based integration architecture is an efficient approach to facilitate application integration on a large scale
- Understand how to integrate the Internet of Things into your enterprise ecosystem and capitalize on its potential
- Integrating the Extended Enterprise
- Data Integration
- From EAI to SOI and ESB
- Cloud Integration, iPaaS, and Hybrid Integration
- Integrating Mobile Enterprise Apps
- Enterprise IoT – The New Integration Challenge
- API-based Integration Architectures
- Addressing the Cross-Cutting Concerns: Security, Monitoring, Organization
- Case Studies