Taxonomies and Ontologies:
the keys to successful Knowledge Management
This two-day seminar will focus on information categorization using taxonomies and ontologies. Todays Business users work with a range of Portals, Document Management systems, and Content Management tools designed to provide access to information. However, that information is of little value if users cant find what they need.
Taxonomies and ontologies can provide solutions to an organization's Knowledge Management challenges. Although the concept of taxonomies is not new, organizations are beginning to focus increased attention on the design and development of intuitive and sustainable taxonomies that will serve their end users by making it easy to find the information they need in a single place. Today's users have come to expect a simple way to both search and browse for their information, but still many organizations do not know where to begin in the design of such a system.
This seminar will identify the major barriers to successfully implementing a taxonomy and will cover taxonomy Best Practices, Case Studies, and implementation methodologies. The seminar will also introduce the concept of ontologies, concept based Webs of information, as a potential solution to many of the issues that standard taxonomies face.
In addition, this workshop will define the keys to successful eGovernance to ensure that all your organization's Knowledge Management efforts are conducted in a logical and sustainable manner. Finally, the seminar will detail a methodology for designing your own organization's taxonomy and will give hands-on examples of taxonomy workshop exercises and techniques.
What you will learn
- The value of taxonomies and ontologies
- Best Practices for successful implementation and adoption
- The various approaches organizations have used to develop taxonomies and ontologies
- The common mistakes organization make in developing taxonomies and ontologies
- Best Practices for Governance of your Knowledge Management projects
- How to get started developing your own organization's categorization structure
- Introduction to Taxonomies
- Project Methodologies
- Project Case Studies
- Project Risks and Mitigation Strategies
- Introduction to Ontologies
- Knowledge Management Governance Best Practices
- Taxonomy and Ontology Technologies Review
- Knowledge Gathering Guidelines
- Using Analytics to Design and Evolve Your System
- Meta Data Design and Best Practices
- Running Taxonomy Design Workshops for Your Organization.
- Specific Examples from Various Organizations will be used throughout the presentations to illustrate the various challenges and topics.