Improving IT Performance using the Balanced Scorecard
Challenges to IT organizations have never been greater. IT organizations are recognized now more than ever as core to the long term success (or even survival) of their companies. Those IT organizations that can transform themselves to address the new realities of Business can thrive. Those who do not will be facing even more competition from outsourcing and end-user self-sufficiency.
While the old IT role is largely obsolete, there is a new, more significant and valued role for IT an implementer of the companys strategy. In order to adopt this new role, IT organizations need to transform themselves by developing some new competencies. One highly effective, proven and powerful tool is the Balanced Scorecard. The Balanced Scorecard has emerged as an extremely effective tool for implementing strategy.
In the seventy-fifth edition of the Harvard Business Review (HBR), the Balanced Scorecard was rated as one of the top ten concepts developed over HBRs first seventy-five years. This seminar provides a practical approach to for improving IT performance using this highly effective approach now adopted into an IT setting.
The seminar provides a proven, practical approach for successfully implementing an IT Balanced Scorecard.
What you will learn
- Gain an understanding of the history of the Balanced Scorecard and the evolution of the Balanced Scorecard into an effective technique for implementing strategy
- Learn various ways organizations use the Balanced Scorecard outside of the traditional approaches
- Learn the techniques for avoiding many of the pitfalls associated with implementation of the IT Balanced Scorecard
- Gain experience developing your own "Strategy Map" - the key to an effective Balanced Scorecard
- Fully understand the ten keys to a successful Balanced Scorecard implementation
- Learn how to plan for and undertake the Management of a Balanced Scorecard project by developing you own work plan including the steps, timing and deliverables
- Learn how to develop effective targets to drive performance
- See what processes other IT organizations are using to decide which initiatives to fund and what the priority should be using IT Balanced Scorecard-based processes linked to the IT Strategy
- Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard
- Wells Fargo Case Overview
- The Key to the Balanced Scorecard The Strategy Map
- Wells Fargo Case Strategy Map
- Exercise to Build a Strategy Map
- The Process for Successfully Implementing an IT Balanced Scorecard
- Development of a Work Plan for Running an IT Balanced Scorecard Project
- Keys to a Successful IT Balanced Scorecard Implementation
- Keys to Developing Effective IT Performance Measures
- Performance Measurement Case Study
- Beyond the Wells Fargo Case Primer on Initiative Prioritization
- Other Elements of Prioritization A Case Study in Applying the Theory in Practice